Sinkholes can be devastating when they happen. They can claim cars, roads, and even whole homes if they are big enough. They can leave people in awful situations. That is why detecting them before they happen can be so valuable. Here are a few signs that you may have a sinkhole developing in your yard or near your home.
Detecting Sinkholes Before They Happen
- A round, circular depression in the earth. Before the sinkhole collapses, the ceiling will begin to indent. It will be circular in appearance. Any area that has sunken, especially over a few months or weeks should be looked as as a possible developing sinkhole.
- An area that puddles with water could be a sinkhole but it could also just be soil movement. A professional will be able to inspect the area to tell you. A hole that fills with water such as a small lake or pond (or even just a deep puddle) is likely a sinkhole that has already opened.
- If your foundation has settled, it could be caused by a developing sinkhole or a void (a hole beneath the soil that has formed due to erosion and soil compression). Once again, a professional can help determine if you have a sinkhole and what to do about it.
- Cracks in your concrete or pavement (such as sidewalks, driveway, or in the roadway) may be a sign of a developing sinkhole. Cracks can be a sign of many things, but a sinkhole could be one of the causes.
- Water seems to disappear into the ground into a small hole or opening in the ground. This may be a sign that there is a sinkhole that is filling up with water.
Get Sinkhole Repair, Before its too Late
If you notice something like these signs around your home, make sure to call us here at Superior Structural Solutions. Cleaning up after a sinkhole is much worse than getting it repaired, it’s easier and cheaper! We offer sinkhole repair services for the Birmingham, Decatur, Montgomery, Mobile, Pensacola, and Panama City area. Contact us today!